BACK YARD

BACK YARD
Watercolor Painting of my back yard in Northern California

Wednesday, June 15, 2022

SAINT EDBURGA OF WINCHESTER - JUNE 15, 2022

 

Saint Edburga / Eadburh of Winchester
b. about 920, d. June 15, 960
My 31st great grandaunt



Today's saint is a great aunt of mine, the daughter of my 32nd great grandfather, Kind Edward I of England and his third wife, Eadgifu of Kent.

(I am descended from Edward and his first wife, Aelfflaed of Bernicia, whose daughter, Eadgifu of Wessex, was my 31st great grandmother. SHE was married to King Charless II "The Simple" of France, my 31st great grandfather.)

Edburga became a nun very early in life and is what is known as a popular "local saint," with several churches in her neighborhood dedicated to her. She was only 3 years old when she was given to the convent - something that would probably be considered a sort of child abuse in these days. They raised her and educated her, and she remained a nun for the entirety of her life.

There IS a fanciful story about King Edward placing the little tot on his lap and asking her to choose between some religious items and some frivolous jewelry - and she chose the religious items, which showed her aptitude and justified sending this BABY away to a convent.

She was credited with being a marvelous singer. Osbert's history, commissioned by the nuns of her convent, recounts that she was the "precentrix" there, which means that she was a type of female cantor and choir leader when the Office was chanted or sung. She would often remain long after the Divine Office was finished so that she could continue to pray quietly in private.

She loved to sing hymns and wore herself out in spiritual disciplines.

Well, thank you, dear aunt, for making us all feel completely inadequate!

Today I wore myself to the nubbins just getting myself and a neighbor to the local Walgreens to get our second Covid booster shots. It had been 10 months since I got my first one, and I did not want to run the risk of contracting Covid during this time when I am feeling particularly worn out.

I had to fold then lift my neighbor's walker into the back seat of my car, then help manage the lock on the passenger seat belt.

The asphalt of the store was vibrating with heat. When we got inside, I said to follow at a slow pace while I went to the pharmacy and announced our arrival. I had previously called and learned that we could just walk in and sign up for our vaccinations. 

I threw my cane into a cart and used it as MY walker,  as I made my way to the pharmacy, as my neighbor followed slowly after me. Eventually, they gave us each a clipboard. I finished mine and then did my neighbors as well, asking the questions on the form, one of which was "are you pregnant?" We had a laugh about that one.

They called  my neighbor in first, and in no time, it was done. Then I went in and chatted amiably with Alex, the really nice pharmacy employee. The two booster shots I have gotten at that pharmacy were much faster and less painful than the ones I receive from the people at the health department. I have to say I appreciate their technique!

Just getting my neighbor out of the car when we got home was almost impossible. It came close to my having to call 911 to get my neighbor out of the car and into the nearby apartment.

This is the last time I will be taking my neighbor with me on any errand because their  disabilities have reached a level where a personal assistant is needed, and I am just another disabled person. 

But I felt good that, despite the pain and exhaustion I was feeling, I had been able to do this last thing. After all, when you're suffering from Parkinson's, the last thing you need would be to get Covid, and I was happy that I was able to play a part in helping get this protection in place! However, doing this took a huge chunk out of my own day and my limited endurance, and I had already spent more than a dozen hours trying to get this person a medic alert bracelet which they now say they don't want. It is both an energy drain and highly frustrating.

When I finally shuffled back to my apartment, I fell asleep in my recliner for a couple hours. When I woke, I felt really awful. I couldn't even get out of the chair for some time and, in thinking of the events of today and the last few months, I felt disappointed that my life circumstances look so very different from the monastic life I had envisioned when I first became disabled. My life has devolved into a long struggle to survive and get ahead of the pain. It is one thing to "offer up" the pain and suffering, but one still has to overcome it to the extent necessary to perform the daily functions of life.

I realized I have to simply my life here at home and I have to start loving my neighbor in a less physical and more spiritual manner. God will show me the way.

May we all be blessed!

Silver Rose
Sannyasini Kaliprana
Silver Cottage Hermitage

P.S. All of the blog posts I write are independently researched and written by me and all of them are protected by legal copyright and may not be copied for any purpose by any person for any reason, so please just enjoy them here and leave them here where you found them.

(c) Copyright 2022, Silver S. Parnell
All rights reserved.
No copying for any purpose by anyone is allowed.


No comments:

Post a Comment