BACK YARD

BACK YARD
Watercolor Painting of my back yard in Northern California

Monday, May 30, 2022

SAINTS JOAN OF ARC AND FERDINAND III OF CASTILLE - MAY 30, 2022

 

Joan of Arc
1412 - 1431

I was conflicted about WHICH  saint to meditate on today: Joan of Arc, one of my favorite female saints, or King Ferdinand III of Castille, my 25th great grandfather. Complicating it is my relationship to King Charles VII of France, my 11th cousin, 15 times removed, for whom Joan of Arc went to war and whose monarchy she was instructed to save by saints and angels who appeared to her and spoke to her when she was a young teen.

Knowing my relationships to the saints has helped me tremendously in my spiritual life. It is always a good thing when history can be made to "come to life" for us.


Charles VII of France
Aided by Saint Joan of Arc

My 11th cousin, 15 times removed
Common ancestor: William the Conqueror

Anyway, I am devoting some time to each of these saints.

The thing that strikes me as being relevant to our time is that Joan of Arc was executed primarily because she wore men's clothing to save herself from being raped by her jailers. Previously, she had been tried for this and for heresy and witchcraft but had avoided execution with a life sentence instead. Then, after the first trial, she had to wear men's clothing again, to protect her modesty, but they decided to kill her for it.  That's the given reason, but we all know that women who wield power terrify men and they'll do anything they can to disrupt it. Who knows which reason was primary? People really DID believe in witchcraft in those days.

Joan, a French citizen, was put into the hands of the English by the government of Burgundy, who captured and sold her. That girl just could not catch a break.



Welcome to the era when the Church ruled the land and women were burnt alive by supposedly holy men because they wore pants. This is how crazy it can get when church and state coalesce.

Saint Joan is only one of thousands of women who were executed in horrific ways by The Catholic Church for ridiculous reasons, such as wearing pants, witchcraft, and the like. They were burned alive - usually after being tortured. 



Elevating supposedly moral flaws to the level of an offense worthy of execution is what happened when government control was was wielded by The Church in England, which is why the founders of our country were keen to keep religion out of politics. But here we are again - fighting off a hostile takeover of the government by a religion.

Don't get me wrong. I am Catholic and I love the faith. I am a believer, but I am not enthusiastic about repeating the errors of the past because I have "met" a lot of people on the internet who appear to be proponents of force and punishment whose language is so extreme that I could easily picture them putting people to death for voting for a Democrat.

Saint Joan of Arc
Listening to the voices of the angels

There is SO much written about Saint Joan of Arc, I am not going to reinvent the wheel. I just wanted to make that comment about how that very holy, very pure and very young girl was put to death by religious = authorities when she was only 19. She had been 13 when she started hearing the voices and seeing visions. She was about 17 when she went to war to help establish my cousin, Charles VII, on the French throne.

I also want to add that, in addition to all of that, she had to endure the humiliation of being poked and prodded in her nether regions by nuns tasked with determining if she was a virgin or not!

From the vantage point of a woman born and raised in the U.S., without ever having to answer to any government official about the condition of my hymen or whether or not I wear PANTS, I feel renewed gratitude for all my freedoms, but I DO remember what a big deal it was to be allowed to wear pants to school when I was in my teens....a vestige of the controls that government authorities have typically exerted over women throughout the ages.

 
Saint Ferdinand III
King of Castille, Leon, Galicia & Toledo
(various time frames)
5 August 1201 - 30 May 1252
My 25th great grandfather

Saint Ferdinand, my 25th great-grandfather, has a lot less dramatic a story than poor Joan of Arc. He was King of Castile and died a couple hundred years before she was burnt at the stake.

He was a devout monarch, and, in addition to grabbing some territory from the Muslims, he is credited with the establishment of  churches and religious institutions. He was a very successful leader who brought together disparate territories. He a member of the Third Order of St. Francis and was buried in its habit. I sense that he was a kind man. It is said that he was careful not to burden his subjects with too much tax or odious laws as he feared the curse of one poor woman more than an army of Saracens!

I am proud to include him in my family tree.

Today is Memorial Day, a day on which we honor men and women who died during their service in the U.S. Armed Forces, particularly those who died in battle or from wounds received in battle. It is said they made the "ultimate sacrifice" for their country, somewhat as Saint Joan of Arc did for hers. Not a great comparison, I admit...but it's the best I could come up with.  





Reading about the battles of Joan of Arc and Ferdinand III of Castile brings to mind the horrors of war and just how violent human beings can be. Even religious folk are violent - killing women for being witches or wearing men's pants, even after they have accomplished great things in battle, at the behest of God Himself.

Personally, I am a pacifist and abhor violence. I veer away from capital punishment and never even slapped my child in jest, much less spank him for some infraction. I just don't believe in hurting people, but I am out of step with human beings, as a whole. I hope those that believe in hurting other humans can catch up to the pacifists one day.

God bless you all!

Silver "Rose"
            

No comments:

Post a Comment