BACK YARD

BACK YARD
Watercolor Painting of my back yard in Northern California

Tuesday, December 29, 2020

PAY ATTENTION

 


Saint Anthony the Hermit


Part of the advantage of meditating is beneficial side effects. When you learn to concentrate your mind on the divine in meditation, your mind becomes more and more refined. Many people try to remove the religion from this practice - because they want the ancillary skills and benefits that a meditation practice provides but they assume it can be divested of spiritual content. I have found that removing the spiritual aspect truncates those side effects. I can't tell you why.

The effort of concentration is too much for some people. They walk through life on auto pilot. They don't pay attention to communications. They have poor study habits. Their relationships suffer from inattention. 



Jesus Christ - praying in the Garden of Gethsemane


Too many people are not fully present for life.

This morning, I saw a perfect example of this. A woman on Facebook posted her desire to offer one of her kidneys to the medical community for a person who may have need of one because she says her type 0-negative blood is 'rare.' 

I asked her, "would you get mad at me if I tried to talk you out of this?"

She said, "no," with a funny little emoji, so I gave her two reasons why she might not want to give a kidney to a stranger. It was a short exchange, but I checked with her first because I myself do not like unsolicited "advice" and I am very careful not to step on toes in this regard.

The next thing I knew, she has 'blocked' me on Facebook and sent me a hostile message in which it was CLEAR she had not read or comprehended the question. Her final comment? "We are through," she said. The whole thing was bizarre.

When she said "no," for some reason, she thought she had said "no" to comments instead of "no" to whether she would get mad at me. She was not paying attention and I can't talk it out with her and have her re-read the sentence because she blocked me without engaging in any discussion, which is too bad because I rather liked her.

Now, maybe this is all for the best because it does seem more than just a little odd that, after a history of completely benign and pacific exchanges between us, she would fly into a rage like that, so my guess is that there are other things going on with her mentally, that don't have anything to do with today's communication. I will pray for her, and I hope you do also. Perhaps she will re-read the comments in that thread and realize her mistake.




Today is the feast day of Saint Anthony the Hermit. I take a keen interest in the histories of other hermits.  Their stories are typically very sad, with plenty of harsh treatment received at the hands of other people. I feel a kindship with them, for both the mystical consolations AND the miserable circumstances of life.

Saint Anthony, born about 468 in Valeria (now in Hungary) suffered the loss of his father and was given to the Abbot Severinus of Noricum (now in Austria.) When Severinus died, Anthony went to Germany to his uncle Constantius, Bishop of Lorsch. By the time he was 20, he was already a monk and had retreated to an island in Lake Como. As with many hermits, he attracted a group of followers, wanting to become holy. He lived in several solitary places then became a monk at the Abbey of Lerins. He was known for great holiness and some miracles.





It is very interesting to me that most hermits have similar histories, in that they do not remain strictly alone. It is the strength of their belief in their connection with the Lord that keeps them on the solitary path. THEIR attention isn't diverted - and it this grip they maintain on the grace of the Lord that attracts others to follow them.

Modern life exerts pressures on modern hermits that didn't exist in bygone eras. I am finally starting to compose my Christmas cards. They are "late" in the sense that it is after December 25th, but that day is just the first day of the 12 days of Christmas, and I personally love to celebrate as long as I possibly can. Would Saint Anthony the hermit send Christmas cards if he was living today? Would he have a cupboard full of dishes and teapots and things with which to feed others? I often wonder.




Tomorrow I have to upload bank statements to the Medicaid people for the special program that helps disabled people like me. I am not very good with technology, and the time that will be eaten up in this process will eat into my spiritual disciplines. Would Saint Anthony eschew the help they offer? I wonder.

I remember when I first left the Vedanta Convent and two of the nuns came to visit me in my new apartment where I lived on a carpeted floor with no furniture. In the living room, there was only 4 large pillows and 2 folding lap trays. I had no furniture and sat on the floor for everything. One of them, an Australian woman with English airs, put her plate on the carpeted floor. I moved it to the little folding tray, as I didn't want her to have to eat off the floor where people's feet had trod.

"Oh, so you're house proud," she said.  Although the rest of them lived in an actual mansion with plenty of furniture, I was house proud because I moved a plate from the floor. This woman wasn't paying attention either, which is a shame because she had all the benefits of a life geared entirely for it.

Keeping a simple life accommodates so very many different styles, doesn't it? If you are disabled, living in constant chronic pain, as I am, ascetic practices are "built in," so to speak. It is the pain that becomes the spiritual currency that we offer to God, when we are no longer able to live on the floor.

There are many people who, at what the Swami would call "the fag end of life," have only pain to offer the Lord in reparation. Eventually, I should write up my rule of life, and it will be for people like me - disabled folk who suffer much and struggle to turn the lemons of bodily injury into the lemonade of spiritual exaltation.

In the meantime, I am getting out the Christmas cards and struggling to upload documents with tiny little print I can barely read so that I can get the medical care I need without having to stop eating in order to do it. Then there is the 'simplification' project in which I make some matching robes and eliminate unnecessaries to reduce the obligation of choices - and the amount of daily laundry! When you stay in one place for 16 years, things tend to pile up which is, perhaps, the reason why Saint Anthony moved about so very many times.

Moving is no longer possible for me, however. Everyone's body gives out, in the end.

Another neighbor has died - this time, the man who lived on the second floor above me. Just a few days ago, I opened my door just as the attendants were putting his body into a long, low and very black unmarked station wagon of sorts. As they slid the gurney in, and the legs snapped into place, his feet, which had been wrapped with a white sheet, jiggled in a way that told me his spirit had left his body. I had JUST been thinking about getting his Christmas card into the mail. I wonder if people realize how many elderly people end up dying alone in their apartments? I have seen many of them in the 16 years I have lived here. 

Good night, everyone. Tomorrow is another day.

God bless us all

Silver Rose
Sannyasini Kaliprana


No comments:

Post a Comment