BACK YARD

BACK YARD
Watercolor Painting of my back yard in Northern California

Sunday, May 12, 2024

DISABLED HERMITS, LAY CONTEMPLATIVES, THE UNMARRIED STATE OF LIFE

 


"Hermitage View"
by
Silver S. Parnell

(c) Copyright 2024, 
all rights reserved

Even though I am an independent little hermit, and I have no official overseers, I still try to keep a monastic schedule that a contemplative nun in a convent would recognize. This means prayers at certain times during the day, meditation, contemplative, and study, as well as regular reception of the sacraments of confession, reconciliation and the Eucharist.

Trying as much as I can to meet these requirements, I fail more than succeed in meeting these duties on a rigid time schedule, due to the unwelcome intrusion of the effects of my physical disabilities, but I know that the Lord sees my efforts and is with me in each conflict that I am fighting. I can feel the Holy Spirit carrying me along when the body and mind are unwilling and that, regardless of my failures, He is with me in all things. Although I am humbled by all of it, I am also uplifted by the generosity of the Lord. I give Him so little, in the general scheme of things, and it is only through his help that I am even able to do that. It occurs to me that, since He gives us even the power to give ourselves to Him, reliance upon Him is not something to which we have to aspire, but which is the point entirely. He has done me the favor of allowing me to become largely disabled in my old age so that this lesson is before me at all times.

Putting into place one duty at a time, until it is established, seems to be the best option for my limitations, so I have gradually put into place the chanting of the Angelus in Latin at 6 a.m., noon, and 6 p.m. I understand that, in better days, all the church bells of most of the towns in Christendom used to ring at those times, in order to remind the faithful to stop their labors and remember the Lord and His Blessed Mother.  This was just one of the benefits of a Christian culture that is no longer in place, not because the administrators of the cities and towns have fallen down on the job, but because the population itself has become more secular and is turning its back on Him. The Catholic remnant is often seen complaining in the City Halls of government about this sad reality, as if the force of politics could repair the broken soul of society. It cannot.

No, it is each one of us who must struggle individually against our own sinful natures to reach for the Lord because the comforting arms of a supportive society and church are no longer wrapped around us, helping us toward the goal. Society and the church are preoccupied with their own survivals, to a great extent, leaving many of us to dog paddle in the shallow moat around the church, while the comfortably ensconced Catholic denizens pull up the draw bridge, making it impossible for the frail and needy to get in. Only the holiest of  members put their own worries aside for a moment to come outside the gates and bring us The Bread of Life to sustain us, and I am grateful for two holy friends who, despite their own cares and responsibilities, bring me the Eucharist and other necessaries of life.

In this gradual concentration of American Catholicism into itself, there are made some accidental hermits whom I am beginning to meet on the road outside the palace gates. They did not leave society so much as society and the church have shrunk away from them, in the process I have described above, and they are making the best of their situation. It isn't an easy life, once the hermit is aged and infirm - particularly if he or she has no support system in the way of caring family members who might alleviate the distractions that simple survival presents to the physically impaired person.

Some months ago, when I was communicating with the Vicar General of my area, I had suggested starting an online group for the independent hermits, which he said I could do, if I wished. It is lucky that I have a substantial education in contemplative life, which is the life of the hermit, and that there are many books I can recommend to these people that I meet on the way, as well as the natural wisdom of experience. I have lived as a hermit since before I became Catholic, and I have learned some helpful lessons in more than 20 years of solitary life. 

Basically, disabled hermits who live in the world are simply living what God intends for those people committed to single life.  According to Fr. Chad Ripperger, one of my favorite priests on the internet, God's will for the single Catholic is pretty much the same as that which is recommended for widows by St. Paul. As with all Catholics, we should be doing all we can to advance in holiness, aiming for a life of virtue and spiritual perfection. Our free time should be geared toward helping the church in whatever way the laity can do this, since ours is part of the lay state, although in some ways it mimics the contemplative monastic life in some of the routines and in our solitude.

For those of us with serious physical disabilities, our gift to the church is our prayers. My particular charism is for the reunification of the Orthodox with the Catholic Church, and I dedicated all my prayers for this purpose more than two decades ago, when I became disabled and promised myself to God.

For anyone considering discernment of God's will for them, especially if you are thinking of committing yourself to the hermit life , I am offering you a talk on "Discerning God's Will," given by Father Chad Ripperger, one of my favorite of the public priests who offers guidance on YouTube and elsewhere. Otherwise, he is also an exorcist and has published at least one book of special Deliverance Prayers, which I find very helpful. (I bought the paperback AND the kindle version, so I would have it with me always.)

Click Here for Fr. Ripperger's Talk

This is what Father's book looks like:



If you are also  a Catholic living as a hermit, accidental or not, contact me on my Facebook page:

Click here for my Facebook Page






Once I have had some input from at least 4 other Catholic hermits to ascertain whether or not there is a need for a hermit group, I will offer mine, which is already created but not yet open to applicants.

God bless you all!


Silver Rose
Silver Cottage Hermitage
Albuquerque, New Mexico


No comments:

Post a Comment