BACK YARD

BACK YARD
Watercolor Painting of my back yard in Northern California

Monday, November 21, 2022

PRESENTATION OF MARY IN THE TEMPLE - NOVEMBER 21, 2022

 


Today's Marian feast is known in the Eastern churches as "The Entry of the Most Holy Theotokos into the Temple." It is a feast day that is widely observed, but does not appear in the Bible. Instead, the apocryphal "Protoevangelium of James" tells about how, in response to a message from God, they would have a child after many years of barrenness. In gratitude for the gift of this holy child, they brought Mary to the Temple to consecrate her to God.

Later writings say that she was to be left at the Temple at age 3 and left there for her education, with an eye toward preparing her to be the Mother of God. Can you imagine?




The "Gospel of James" also known as the Protoevangelium of James was written in the second century in Greek, and, until today, I don't believe I ever read anything from it, so I figure that now is the time. Interestingly, this is the earliest record we have of the perpetual virginity of Mary.

According to Wikipedia, this "Gospel" was condemned by Pope Innocent I in 405 and was rejected by the Gelasian Decree somewhere around the year 500. But the messages and stories from this Gospel still influence our ideas about Mary today. More information about this Gospel can be found

HERE, for a start.




In 1974, Pope Paul VI wrote that despite its origins in apocryphal sources, this feast represents "lofty and exemplary values and carries on the venerable traditions having their origins in the Eastern churches."

So what does that mean? What it says to me is that the meaning of the story has value that is in concert with the collection of Catholic values that we hold dear. 




For me, personally, I have always found Mary's "yes" to God and his angel to be very inspiring and a strong encouragement for me in my personal spiritual life. I hope to always be saying "yes" to God, and it is something that I think about a lot. I try to always keep it in mind and to keep trying to be attentive to the Word of God and what He may be asking of me in particular. I pray that He guides me from within so that my actions are in concert with His wishes for me. I tell Him frequently that I just want to do what He desires of me, and I ask Him to correct me if I should misunderstand His will.




The history of the observance of this feast can be found: 

HERE - Wikipedia page about the feast

HERE - Franciscan Media page

HERE - Marians of the Immaculate Conception page and,

HERE - at Simply Catholic

****************

God bless us all...

Silver Rose




No comments:

Post a Comment